What is gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia literally means, “woman-like breasts” on a man. It is a condition that can seriously effect one’s self-confidence and social well-being, especially in situations where going without a shirt is expected, such as at the beach or in the locker room.
Although rarely discussed, gynecomastia is actually quite common, affecting approximately 50% of the male population. Gynecomastia is thought to be caused by an imbalance in hormones which can be associated with various medications, drug or steroid use, certain medical ailments, or have no clear cause at all.
Male breast reduction surgery is a safe, effective solution for reshaping the male chest, trimming away excess fat, and breast tissue for a more streamlined, chiseled look. As a result of surgery, clothing may fit better, social comfort is restored, and the overall quality of life may be greatly improved.
Who are good candidates for males breast reduction?
- Suffers from enlarged breasts that appear feminine
- May suffer from social anxiety and social discomfort
- Does not suffer from any major medical or psychological conditions
- Has realistic expectations for improvement based on consultation
- Is at a healthy weight for their frame
- Does not smoke cigarettes or marijuana
- Does not abuse steroids, alcohol or street drugs
- Has not made progress relying on dieting and exercise alone
male breast reduction procedure
The surgery will take place under general anesthesia, lasting anywhere from 1-3 hours, depending on the extent of the alterations required. Some patients will require surgery on only one breast, while others will need improvement in both.
Dr. Elyassnia will create tiny, well-hidden incisions within the darker coloring of the areola, through which he will excise all of the breast tissue that is present in the chest. In most cases, he will use liposuction in tandem for a more comprehensive contouring of the chest region.